The 10 Most Disruptive Skill Areas in Tech – Reskill Mke
By Bill Reilly
In a recent study conducted by Burning Glass Technologies and released in December 2020, they pinpointed ten skillsets as the most disruptive in technology:
10 Most Disruptive Skill Areas in Tech
- AI and Machine Learning – Artificial Intelligence is just as the word implies, the intelligence is artificial, programmed by humans to perform human activities. This artificial intelligence is incorporated into computer systems to create AI Systems that ultimately functions as units of “thinking machines”. Machine Learning is an application of artificial intelligence that provides the AI System with the ability to automatically learn from the environment and applies that learning to make better decisions. There are a variety of algorithms that Machine Learning uses to iteratively learn, describe and improve data in order to predict better outcomes.
- Cloud Technologies or cloud computing is the delivery of computing services—including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence—over the Internet (“the cloud”) to offer faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale.
- Fintech is the technology and innovation that aims to compete with traditional financial methods in the delivery of financial services. It is an emerging industry that uses technology to improve activities in finance.
- IT Automation, sometimes referred to as infrastructure automation, is the use of software to create repeatable instructions and processes to replace or reduce human interaction with IT systems. Automation software works within the confines of those instructions, tools, and frameworks to carry out the tasks with little to no human intervention.
- Connected Technologies Connected technology, sometimes called Smart Connected Technology, are products with technology built in that allow it to connect with its environment and other products. (It’s tied up with the Internet of Things.) This embedded technology typically compromises of sensors and processors.
- Natural Language Processing is a subfield of linguistics, computer science, and artificial intelligence concerned with the interactions between computers and human language, in particular how to program computers to process and analyze large amounts of natural language data
- Parallel Computing is a type of computing architecture in which several processors simultaneously execute multiple, smaller calculations broken down from an overall larger, complex problem.
- Proactive Security approach prevents major cyber or malware attacks before they happen. Preventative measures taken by a company anticipate potential situations and save the firm from experiencing devastating events that can lead to crippling losses from data or hardware loss.
- Quantum Computing is the use of quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement to perform computation. Computers that perform quantum computations are known as quantum computers.
- Software Development Methodologies in software engineering, a software development process is the process of dividing software development work into distinct phases to improve design, product management, and project management. It is also known as a software development life cycle.
Read more of their key findings and research